Frequently Asked Questions
Duuuuude, NO! While Freddy is known as thatgaytrainer, exercise, nutrition, and health are UNIVERSAL even with rainbow colors all over the website! thatgaytrainer was created for everyone, but with special attention paid to LGBTQ+ folks who typically face unique situations and hardships compared to our hetero brothers and sisters.
Since beginning in 2011 as Level One Training and Fitness:
- thatgaytrainer’s clients have ranged in age from as young as 12 to as old as 92 years of age
- more than 75% of thatgaytrainer’s clients hail from very diverse ethnic backgrounds
- most of thatgaytrainer’s clients have been in their early to mid-30s
- more than 2/3 of thatgaytrainer’s clients have been women
- 1/4 of thatgaytrainer’s clients have had at least one underlying medical condition
- nearly 20% of thatgaytrainer’s clients have been students at his alma mater, San Diego State University
- thatgaytrainer’s clients work in the fields of:
- law enforcement
- military occupations
- small business/entrepreneurism
thatgaytrainer was originally certified on July 21, 2011 and accepted his first private client in the following month of August. He then operated as an independent contractor (Level One Training and Fitness) at Village Gym in La Mesa beginning in December, continuing until September, 2012 after which he went solo. A resident of La Mesa at the time, thatgaytrainer trained clients outdoors while also holding his outdoor “Afterburn” group exercise classes at Aztec Park in La Mesa, Bird Park in Balboa Park near Morley Field, Golden Hill Park also in Balboa Park, and Nobel Athletic Field in University City. thatgaytrainer eventually relocated to North Park in 2015 and opened the “stealth” studio in 2018.
thatgaytrainer’s regular business hours for Fitness Consultations and Assessments and Private Client Personal Training are by appointment only:
- Sunday and all major US holidays – CLOSED
- Monday – 8:00am – 7:00pm (last time slot 6:00pm)
- Tuesday – 8:00am – 7:00pm (last time slot 6:00pm)
- Wednesday- 8:00am – 7:00pm (last time slot 6:00pm)
- Thursday – 8:00am – 7:00pm (last time slot 6:00pm)
- Friday – 8:00am – 5:00pm (last time slot 4:00pm)
- Saturday – 8:00am – 4:00pm (last time slot 3:00pm)
thatgaytrainer’s business hours for Virtual Training programs varies by state/time zone. Please contact thatgaytrainer for additional information.
The neighborhood “stealth” training studio for thatgaytrainer is located in North Park, a district of San Diego approximately 1 mile east of the “gayborhood” Hillcrest. It’s considered “stealth” because (due to City of San Diego small business regulations) there is no signage out front. Located on a quiet street one block east of busy 30th Street and a few blocks south of University Avenue, you’ll recognize it when you see it (especially in the evening!) The live/work setup allows thatgaytrainer to keep overhead costs low. This translates into lower rates for his clientele compared to other trainers with comparable experience.
The in-studio Fitness Consultation and Assessment requires no advance preparation, not even a warm-up! However, we do suggest the following prior to your appointment:
- consume something light no later than 2 hours prior to your appointment
- do not drink anything caffeinated such as coffee, pre-workout, or soft drinks
- wear workout clothing you’re comfortable in, but also clothing we can take measurements over the top of (ex: athletic shirts, athletic shorts, and leggings)
- bring some water and a workout towel
With the exception of single Personal Training Sessions, all programs with thatgaytrainer have at least 26 session commitments which equates to a 13 week/3 month program. In reality, the typical client finishes between 4-5 months as a result of rescheduling due to illness, travel, and well, life! 🙂 (By the way, if you have commitment issues regarding your own health, I probably won’t be the trainer for you. Jus sayin…) thatgaytrainer trains clients to be independent; not continually dependent on diets, nutritional supplements, cleanses, challenges, and various other programs which focus on rapid, short term results. The key to fitness success is gradual, sustainable, long term lifestyle changes.
thatgaytrainer’s training studio is outfitted with dumbbells from 5-50 pounds, a standard 7 foot long, 2 inch diameter Olympic bar and associated weight plates, hexagonal (deadlift) Olympic bar, Olympic curl bar, squat stands, FID bench, flat bench, TRX suspension trainer, TRX Rip trainer, battle ropes, and much, much more. Contact thatgaytrainer to arrange a visit of the very unassuming neighborhood “stealth” studio located on a quiet North Park street, south of 30th Street and University Avenue.
thatgaytrainer originally created a 30-minute interval training class known as “Turn and Burn” at Village Gym in La Mesa. After going completely independent in late-2012, “Turn and Burn” became “Afterburn,” a 60-minute outdoor class complete with warm-up, core work, strength training, metabolic intervals, and cool-down and stretching. The class maintained this format for several years at 4 different locations (La Mesa, Golden Hill Park, Balboa Park, and Nobel Athletic Field). In 2018, “Afterburn” became the first heart-rate monitored, outdoor interval training class in San Diego with real-time display. “Afterburn” was retired in December, 2020 during the second COVID shutdown in California.
For app-based Virtual Training programs, thatgaytrainer has both an Android and iOS app for your chosen smartphone and/or tablet. Alternatively, you can access your program on your laptop or other computer connected to the internet.
For 30-minute, face-to-face virtual training sessions, thatgaytrainer uses a secure connection through Google Meet. The connection is HIPAA-compliant to ensure both your privacy and health information are protected.
For operating system, supported browsers, and more, please visit Requirements for using Google Meet by clicking on this link.
thatgaytrainer’s preferred method of payment is Zelle, but also accepts cash, personal/business checks, cashier checks, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, Apple Pay, and Google Pay.