Does thatgaytrainer accept only LGBTQ+ clients?
Oh, honey, NO! While Freddy is known as thatgaytrainer with rainbow colors all over the website, exercise, nutrition, and health are UNIVERSAL. thatgaytrainer was created for everyone, but with special attention paid to LGBTQ+ folks who typically face unique situations and hardships compared to our hetero brothers and sisters.
How long has thatgaytrainer been in business?
thatgaytrainer was originally certified on July 21, 2011 and accepted his first private client the following month in August. He then operated as an independent contractor (Level One Training and Fitness) at Village Gym in La Mesa beginning in December and continuing until September, 2012 when he went completely independent. A resident of La Mesa at the time, thatgaytrainer began as an outdoor trainer while also holding his outdoor “Afterburn” group exercise classes at Aztec Park in La Mesa, Bird Park in Balboa Park near Morley Field, Golden Hill Park also in Balboa Park, and Nobel Athletic Field in University City. thatgaytrainer eventually relocated to North Park in 2015 and opened the “stealth” studio in 2019.
Where is thatgaytrainer’s “stealth” studio located?
The “stealth” training studio for thatgaytrainer is located in North Park, a district of San Diego approximately 1 mile east of the “gayborhood” Hillcrest. It’s considered “stealth” because there is no signage out front and has a very unassuming exterior. Located on a quiet street one block off of busy 30th Street, south of University Avenue, the setup allows thatgaytrainer to keep overhead costs low. This translates into lower rates for his clientele compared to other trainers with comparable experience.
What are thatgaytrainer’s regular business hours?
thatgaytrainer’s regular business hours for Fitness Consultations and Assessments and Private Client Personal Training are by appointment only:
- Sunday – CLOSED
- Monday – 8:00am – 7:00pm
- Tuesday – 8:00am – 7:00pm
- Wednesday- 8:00am – 7:00pm
- Thursday – 8:00am – 7:00pm
- Friday – 8:00am – 12:00pm
- Saturday – 8:00am – 12:00pm
What forms of payment does thatgaytrainer accept?
thatgaytrainer accepts Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Zelle.
Does thatgaytrainer have outdoor classes?
thatgaytrainer began creating 30 minute high intensity interval training (HIIT) classes while an independent contractor at Village Gym in La Mesa in 2012. After going independent, the class evolved into “Afterburn,” a metabolic interval training class complete with warmup, core work, strength training, interval training, cool-down, and stretching. In its final iteration, “Afterburn” was the only heart-rate monitored outdoor class complete with real-time display in San Diego before finally being discontinued during the second COVID shut down in San Diego in December, 2020. After a successful 8 year run, there are currently no plans to revive the class.
What type of training equipment does thatgaytrainer use?
thatgaytrainer’s training studio is outfitted with dumbbells from 5-50 pounds, a standard 7 foot long, 2 inch diameter Olympic bar and associated weight plates, hexagonal or deadlift Olympic bar, Olympic curl bar, squat stands, FID bench, flat bench, TRX suspension trainer, TRX Rip trainer, battle ropes, and much, much more. Contact thatgaytrainer to arrange a visit of the very unassuming “stealth” studio located on a quiet North Park neighborhood just south of 30th Street and University Avenue.
How do I prepare for a Fitness Assessment?
The in-studio Fitness Consultation and Assessment requires no advance preparation, not even a warm-up! However, we do suggest the following prior to your appointment:
- consume something light no later than 2 hours prior to your appointment
- do not drink anything caffeinated such as coffee, pre-workout, or soft drinks
- wear workout clothing you’re comfortable in, but also clothing we can take measurements over the top of (ex: athletic shirts, athletic shorts, and leggings)
- bring some water and a workout towel
What are thatgaytrainer’s Private Clients like?
Since beginning over 10 years ago as Level One Training and Fitness:
- more than 2/3 of thatgaytrainer’s clients have been women
- ALL of thatgaytrainer’s clients have ranged in age from as young as 12 to as old as 92 years of age
- most of thatgaytrainer’s clients have been in their early to mid-30s
- 1/4 of thatgaytrainer’s clients have had at least one underlying medical condition
- more than 75% of thatgaytrainer’s clients hail from very diverse ethnic backgrounds
- nearly 20% of thatgaytrainer’s clients have been students at San Diego State University (his alma mater)
- thatgaytrainer’s clients work:
- in accounting
- in aviation
- in banking
- as entrepreneurs
- in finance
- in healthcare
- in management
- in law enforcement
- in military occupations
What is thatgaytrainer’s commitment requirement for Personal Training?
With the exception of single Personal Training Sessions, all programs with thatgaytrainer have 90 day commitments. thatgaytrainer is training you to be independent; not continually dependent on diets, nutritional supplements, cleanses, challenges, and various other programs which focus on rapid, short term results as opposed to gradual, sustainable, long term lifestyle changes.
What are the technical requirements for Virtual Training with thatgaytrainer?
- For app-based Virtual Training programs, thatgaytrainer has both an Android and iOS app for your chosen smartphone and/or tablet. Alternatively, you can access your program on your laptop or other computer connected to the internet.
- For 30-minute, face-to-face virtual training sessions, thatgaytrainer uses a secure connection through Google Meet. The connection is HIPAA-compliant to ensure both your privacy and health information are protected.
- For operating system, supported browsers, and more, please visit Requirements for using Google Meet by clicking on this link.